The name alone had me wanting one. I am a fan of the breakfast cookie. Plus, the kiddos love them too. I found this delightful recipe on a new to me blog called: Love and Lemons. Take a look around on this blog, it is pretty darn creative. And, you can buy an actual cookbook, which is always tempting. As you may remember, Ryan and I are trying our darnedest to eat clean, so this recipe fit the bill.
Carrot Quinoa Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
1 cup oat flour (made from 1¼ cups whole rolled oats)*
1 cup (additional) whole rolled oats* (see note)
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup cooked quinoa
1 cup finely shredded carrots
2 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 5 tablespoons warm water
½ cup almond butter
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup nuts and/or seeds (I used walnuts + pepitas)
½ cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Use a food processor or a blender to process the 1¼ cups rolled oats into a fine flour and measure out one level cup.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, the remaining 1 cup whole oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt. Fold in the quinoa and then the shredded carrots, stirring until the carrots are completely coated with flour.
4. In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and warm water and set aside to thicken for about 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine the almond butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup and stir well to incorporate. Stir in the flaxseed mixture.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and fold in just until combined. Stir in the walnuts, pepitas, and cranberries.
6. Scoop about ¼ cup of batter for each cookie onto the baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
When cookies are completely cool, they can be stored in an airtight container or frozen.
*Be sure to use certified gluten free oats to make these gluten free.